Interpreting Meaning: Debts to My Mother

This blog was inspired by a conversation I had with a friend yesterday. A conversation that started out about daycare options soon became one about our hopes and fears for our kids, which became a larger conversation about how deeply we appreciate the pain and fear our very existence must have brought our mothers.

picture credit to Liv Bruce at Upsplash
picture credit to Liv Bruce at Upsplash

Not that we were especially bad, or difficult children, but that our mothers were good. We live firmly in the joy and fear of motherhood right now, and we can feel what our mothers must have.

So rather than the quote inspiring the blog this time, the blog dictated the quote:

“Through the blur, I wondered if I was alone or if other parents felt the same way I did - that everything involving our children was painful in some way. The emotions, whether they were joy, sorrow, love or pride, were so deep and sharp that in the end they left you raw, exposed and yes, in pain. The human heart was not designed to beat outside the human body and yet, each child represented just that - a parent's heart bared, beating forever outside its chest.” — Debra Ginsberg

This blog is a thank you to all the mothers who were good, and to my own very good mother.

Amanda

Write a comment

Comments: 6
  • #1

Judy Zarazun (Tuesday, 26 September 2017 17:52)

I love the quote Amanda. Being a mother is the most wonderful gift a woman could hope for and yes at times it is very painful. No matter how long the days seem, how difficult the situation, how bursting your heart feels with pride and love, cherish all these moments for they are precious. Moments pass quickly and children grow even quicker. As long as your mom is alive you truly have someone who loves you unconditionally.

• #2

Gail Gorchynski (Tuesday, 26 September 2017 18:35)

Thank you for this my beautiful daughter, a very good mother in your own right now. Yes, it is true a mother's heart beats forever outside of her chest for each of her children, with great love. Each child is unique and requires a different blend of a mothers love. As mothers we often acts not from our intellectual mind but from the fierce love within our heart. Whether good or bad, its always for the love of our child. Love you.

• #3

Karen (Tuesday, 26 September 2017 22:03)

That's beautiful Amanda. You brought tears to my eyes as it is so true...we love our children so much that it hurts...hurts to see them in pain and we would do anything to stop the pain, hurts to see them make mistakes yet we need to let them make some mistakes so they can learn...one of the joys of motherhood is watching them learn new things and grow into their own personality. Like when they don't take "no" for an answer or you have to show them 40 times how to tie shoes (and then they do it on their own!) and then there is taking Grade 7 Science 3 times over....oh the pain! ;) but seriously, being a mom is a true blessing.
    XOXO

• #4

E Svenson (Tuesday, 26 September 2017 23:25)

So powerful. I just don't have the words right now.

• #5

Shari Driscoll (Tuesday, 26 September 2017 23:45)

Interesting perspective and so very true. I truly believe you realized this years before now and the birth of your own child has confirmed this. Your heart is kind and you are have a very gentle soul. You have not only these gifts but now the greatest gift of all, a child and you have given your mother a treasure. Thank you for these words of wisdom.

• #6

Marguerite (Thursday, 28 September 2017 13:09)

Hello Amanda
    You have written the story of all mothers
    Knowing your own mother, I believe that you were truly blessed
    Knowing your father, I know that the blessing was doubled
    The hardest part of being a mom is watching your child struggle...wishing you could take the pain
    Thanks for this thoughtful, touching tribute to your mom